11.14.2012

{photography inspiration: enchanting cinemagraphs}

Have you heard of photographer Jamie Beck's wildly popular Tumblr blog, From Me To You? Jamie and her husband, visual graphics artist Kevin Burg, created and coined the term Cinemagraph - still photographs with moving elements - which exploded in popularity in 2011. You may have happened upon Jamie and Kevin's work on the popular iOS app Flipboard, which features a Cinemagraph right on its front page.

I myself have used what I simply call 'GIF's' over here on the blog from time to time, and I absolutely love that they maintain elements of photography and cinema {hence the name}! I never even thought about how these GIF's were created, apparently they shoot on both still and video equipment and use Adobe After Effects and Photoshop for editing. The results are so captivating, I could stare forever! I'll let the images do the rest of the talking {all images via From Me To You}:




 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
In the words of super model Coco Rocha {pictured directly above}, they are “More than a photo but not quite a video” allowing a moment to live forever. I love the subtlety of these images, you often need to look closely to capture the details! My favorite so far is the taxi cab passing by reflected in the cafe window. Very enchanting indeed, I look forward to what Jamie and Kevin will dream up next.


P.S. To use these GIF's on your own blog, simply make sure to right-click and save as a GIF file. You will then need to upload the image to a host site such as Photobucket or Picasa. Place the hyperlink to the image into your post and you should see animation in action!

12 comments:

Nancy said...

Nancy I love this post! I didn't know how to make the movement happen and these have me spellbound! Thanks so much for sharing this.
xo Nancy
powellbrowerhome.com

Tim said...

love it!! so much fun Nancy. Love the subtle details on some of them. My favourite has to be the man in central park with newspaper!

Rebecca and Lori said...

I may be making myself out to be a total nerd here, but I've always loved these because they remind me of Harry Potter.
Thanks for the background info; I love learning about stuff like this- it's fun!
~Lori

Tracey Ayton Photography said...

Oh these make me happy happy happy!!! Thanks for sharing AND thanks for sharing how to use them. Off to check out their site!

therelishedroost said...

That was so great, I loved all of them! How clever!!
Karolyn
The Relished Roost

Monica said...

Just showed my teenage son your blog and he said...love it!!! I like the girl in the red room with the album spinning....

Preciously Me said...

I love them all!
It's so surprising how the picture becomes "real" and alive"!
Thanks for sharing and explaining how to add them in a post, I think I'll use Gifs on my blog very soon ;)

barbara@hodge:podge said...

I love the subtly in the movements, they really create such a mood!

Albertina || MimosaLane said...

I know I love these too!! their work is amazing....I have done a couple of Gifs....or maybe just one....but its child's play compared to this. I heard sometimes it can them up to 3 days to just one image.

Designwali said...

stunning... i really should try to do a GIF....

Ebony said...

My favorite is the main with the newspaper! I love learning about things like this. This would be such a cool screensaver!

Anonymous said...

How do you make the part of the image you want it to move?

Related Posts with Thumbnails