11.19.2012

{deconstructing the 2.55}



Gabrielle 'Coco' Chanel's legacy is a rich one: the little black dress, Chanel No.5, and of course the quilted 2.55 handbag. According to Wikipedia, it was in the 1920s that Coco Chanel became tired of having to carry her handbags in her arms and decided to design a handbag that freed up her hands. Inspired by the straps found on soldiers’ bags she added thin straps and introduced the design to the market in 1929. Chanel later decided to update her handbag, and the resulting design was called 2.55 after the date of release, February 1955. Let's take a closer look at this iconic bag:
  • The bag originally came with a front lock called the Mademoiselle Lock; it's only been since the 1980s that Karl Lagerfeld's versions included the double CC logo enclosure we are all familiar with.
  • The House of Chanel released an exact copy of the original 2.55 in February 2005 in commemoration of the 50th anniversary of the creation of the original. The “Reissue 2.55” is a term now commonly used for all handbags resembling the original 2.55.
 
 
 
This 'It Bag' is truly an investment piece - a collectible that will be passed down from generation to generation. It has barely changed in 57 years - a true testament that it will not loose it's relevance to modern design. Other styles of the moment really can't compete with the 2.55. In the words of Coco Chanel herself - "Fashion fades, only style remains the same."
 
 

13 comments:

Preciously Me said...

One of my favorite bags!!!
As you say it's a very good investment for the ones who can buy it!
So classy, chic and timeless!

mwaxter said...

Fascinating post. I have one Chanel, bought by my husband for me on my 45th birthday and 20th anniversary in Paris. It was so exciting to finally get one and especially to buy it in Paris.

Dawna said...

What a great post,and now a great reason why I should have one!
http://www.dawnajonesdesign.com/

Hannah said...

Love this! Educational insight into such a historical part of fashion!

Champagne Lifestyle on a Beer Budget

Beth Pearlman said...

Wow, never knew all this interesting history of such an iconic bag. Thanks for sharing! One is likely not in my near future but hey, a girl can dream...Beth
www.chicandglamorous.com

Anonymous said...

Love it.. thank you...great historical information. Love the bag.

Linda in AZ * said...

*** I never knew ANY of that, so what an UBER FAB read!!! Soooo interesting~~ THANK YOU!!!

I've had "mine", just my "one & only" beautiful, black one, since gosh, "forever" now... I STILL use it, and it STILL looks incredibly fabulous... and absolutely PERFECT in every way!!!

Nowadays, I wonder what they go for... any idea??? I think I'll go get it and "compare" to your pics!!!

MANY Thanks,
Linda in AZ
bellesmom1234@comcasst.net

Megan Myers-Bell said...

Thanks for such an insightful and fun article. I loved reading it, and now I want to look in to the history of my Chanel bag.

Haus and Home said...

Wow such a fun post, with historical detail and reference! Love it.

Crissy @ House of Marlowe said...

What a beauty! Hmmm.... I have three girls..... do you think they would be willing to share it once I'm gone? :)

Albertina || Mimosa Lane said...

such a classic!! I love it....and I loved learning about the special compartment for love letters....how perfect!!

Karen Albert said...

I always love to hear more background on the items we deem so desirable and why they are!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Xoxo
Karena
Giveaway from Scalamandré!

Kecia@CoutureZoo said...

Great post! So informative! Loved learning more!

xx

Related Posts with Thumbnails