Sunday, October 17, 2010

{interior design show west 2010}

A terrific time was had by all at the IDSwest this year! Inspiration oozed from all of the displays and the talk by Sarah and Tommy was a definite highlight. They had the audience entertained and engaged the entire hour. The Q & A session started out with a few exciting announcements: Sarah's fab new show, Sarah 101 starts in January and Sarah and Tommy are in the midst of filming Sarah's House 4! Woot woot! Sarah 101 will be 13 episodes worth of a 'crash course' on how to tackle various projects in your home, and for Sarah's House 4 the designers are heading to the suburbs! They'll be showing us how to personalize a newly built home in a restriction-laden subdivision.


I'm a long time SR fan, I've been watching her on TV for 10 years! When all the other kids in high school were out partying I was at home learning how to sew the perfect throw pillows on Room Service! So I snuck myself into the front row for the show, that empty seat beside me is my husband's ... yes it's true, poor guy came with me, he's the best hubby in the world!


The design duo tackled 'FAQs from their F.A.N.s,' {as Tommy put it} that had been posted via Facebook. I was thrilled that my question was the third one answered! I had asked, 'Have there been instances when you were inspired by one particular piece that you design a whole room around that special piece? Would you say fabric is normally your jumping off point?' Here's Sarah's answer:



I was all-ears when Sarah addressed a question about how to get into the field of design, she explained that it's a personal choice whether or not to complete schooling {both her and Tommy had not}. If you choose not to, you need to stay on top of what is going on in the field, you need to have passion, and she really emphasized to keep up on what is new! I kept thinking, blogging helps you do just that doesn't it? If you have already attended design school, Tommy explained your school portfolio usually isn't enough to get you hired, he suggests adding images to it that define your style and explain what your personal taste is.


Here's me hanging out with my new BFF ... okay maybe that's not exactly how it went down. Sarah was gracious enough to stick around and snap some photos with fans. Thanks Sarah! And there's Tommy in the background, wish I could have caught him for a pic too!


Other Q & A's I enjoyed: How do you add personality to an all-white kitchen?

Sarah's tips: Change up the lighting, paint the walls {not white!}, accessorize with color, add interest with fabric window treatments. Here's an example of an all-white kitchen that got a makeover on Design Inc., the after immediately reads red!


How do you decorate a very long hallway?

Sarah dealt with this issue in the farm house, and her solution included adding paneling half way up the walls to break up the height, using grasscloth to add texture on the upper portion of the walls, and have pendant fixtures which hang down into the space to allow your eye to be stopped at several points down the long expanse. Love it!

Some of the highlights from the exhibits:


The media lounge and booth by The Cross was by far my favorite display. The pretty poufs were stacked every where and all of fabrics used in a collage on the walls were fantastic. And that Iguana wallpaper by Timorous Beasties? Fab.





HOMEdelight Furnishings had a lovely palette of gray and purple, and check out the light fixtures!


I took this pic for my friend Kelly over at DesignTies, I think IKEA knows that they are on to something with the bold and pretty Maskros chandelier.


A beautiful little white chair with black piping from Liberty
, wish I coulda taken her home with me :( Maybe I should take Tommy's advice, buy expensive things and eat noodles for the rest of the month ... :)


The fixtures over at Robinson Lighting and Bath Centre were just like jewellery, gorgeous! And they had an amazing piece hung over a freestanding tub. With a mirror and spot light placed on the ceiling above, it looked like the chandelier went up to heaven!



Parliament proved that equine-inspired art is still a big trend:


Loving the tree stump trend? Here's a pretty little version in gold from Mint, opening this fall in Vancouver:

So there you have it! My take on the IDSwest show, I already can't wait till next year!


25 comments:

The Glam Lamb said...

That looks like so much fun! And... cute outfit you wore too!! :) Is the weekend already over??? that went quick!

Brillante Interiors said...

Hi Nancy, so good to see different posts and point of view of the same event. I like your presentation and your so clear explanation of what S.R. said, I'll try to do the same for Karim Rashid talk, wish me luck!

K&B by the Sea said...

Just let me wipe the drool off my keyboard here.... OMG, talk about serious eye candy!! All the chandeliers - FAB. White chairs with black piping - FAB (see, I was onto something with my post about contrasting piping!) HOMEdelight Furnishings booth - FAB. Tommy reading your question and Sarah taking a picture with you - SUPER-FAB!! How hard & fast was your heart beating?!

I REALLY hope Sarah & Tommy will be at IDS 2011 in Toronto.

Thanks for thinking of me and snapping the picture of the Maskros chandeliers :-)

And thanks for following me over to JAX does design :-) I miss blogging with Victoria, but I'm excited to have my very own blog now :-)

Kelly

P.S Your hubby rocks!!

Barbara Matson said...

OK, now I wish I had come with you. *kick*kick* I would of been right there in the thick of things. Next time I will organize myself better and be your sidekick.

What an inspiration!

Dale at Hospitality Design Inspirations said...

Great post Nancy. Sorry I didn't get a chance to meet up with you. I had a great time this year at IDS West. It was much better than I anticipated. Lots of inspirational ideas and products that blew me away.

I saw both Sarah/Tommy and Karim Rashid talk and it was really informative and inspiring.

Your husband is a trooper!

Victoria @ The FAT Paint™ Company and ÉdinHome said...

I'm so jealous!! I wish I had been feeling better so I could have gone like I originally planned... darned cold!! I'm glad you took such great pics, that hubby recorded your question being answered and that you shared the evening so perfectly - it helped (a little!) me feel like I'd been there myself ;-)
Victoria

DAVS said...

Neat!:)

Will @ Bright.Bazaar said...

Thanks for the sneak peek of the show, Nancy, looks like you had a blast!

Linda @ theLENNOXX said...

"buy expensive stuff and eat noodles for the rest of the month" -Best line ever! This event looked like a lot of fun, and kudos to your hubby for joining you!

P.S. I love this... said...

Thanks for sharing your experience. Love SR and Tommy! I just discovered them and love them to pieces.

Mariska Meijers said...

I am just blown away by your extensive report. I should consider joining next year with my own collection! Have a wonderful week.

Vanessa@decor happy said...

I enjoyed this post so much that I linked to it today! Hope that's OK.

Design Elements said...

great post, Nancy!!!

Anonymous said...

I ordered window treatment from this company NYWindowtreatment.com they were like my interior designers they brought down all different samples and showed me what would go best for my room.

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for bringing us along with you! And I am not the least bit surprised that your question was answered...it was excellent! As was this post!

Andrea Johnson said...

Hi Nancy, Looks like you had as much fun as I did. I just posted my IDSwest experience this morning!

Jen @ RamblingRenovators said...

Just found your blog via Decor Happy. Thanks for the peek at IDSWest. And how awesome to have Sarah answer your question!

christine, just bella said...

Yay! I'm so happy I can go to this through you!! Loks like a fabulous show. I love Sarah and Tommy!

Unknown said...

Hi Nancy,
It was great to meet you at the IDSwest show.
Did you happen to make the Karim Rashid lecture? I found it very inspiring.
Take care.

Laura said...

thanks for putting the video in there Nancy, it feels like watching them on tv like usual! I think our answer is: let's go fabric shopping!!!

Sioux Rose said...

Thanks so much for your reporting from IDS. The video was great to watch. The all white kitchen question was mine & I'm so happy that you posted the answer here since I couldn't make it to the show. LOVE Sarah & Tommy they both have great style. So do you by the way :-)

Michelle said...

Hi Nancy, Thanks for stopping by blog, I'm so so so jealous that you got to meet my BFFs in my head Sarah and Tommy. I just love them. BTW, you're blog is fabulous!

Anonymous said...

Looks like a great time. I found you via your guest post over at The Zhush... loved your picks. I am now following you! xo

Brandi@ Flights of Whimsy said...

How awesome to see everything and even get your questions answered!

Maria Killam said...

Great recap! Since I was at High Point I missed this show!
Thanks a lot!
Maria

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

© 2010-2017 Nancy Marcus. All Rights Reserved. | Blog Design By Brittany Douglas